Cinema and department store for Belgian soldiers
In 1946 the Belgian army took over the barracks site in the Iserlohnerstraße from the British occupying forces.
To make the foreign stay for the soldiers more pleasant and to provide them with leisure possibilities outside of the barracks, it was decided to set up a cinema for the soldiers and their families. The cinema was built in the middle of the 1950s on the Südring at the corner of Schillerstraße and had over 560 seats. A department store was also opened nearby. The original plan was to build a tavern or restaurant for the soldiers at this site. Because however the Federal Republic of Germany became a part of NATO in May 1955, the former Belgian occupying forces became allies – and these were allowed to enter pubs and taverns together with Unna citizens.
Full text display